Thursday, April 30, 2009

Lola Update

This is Lola on Easter. Well, I can't believe it's been 6 weeks since we brought Lola home. I was sure she was a goner by week two. We still have her though- making it day to day. She is actually growing on me a little. The first month was HARD! Between the pee accidents and the seemingly constant crying of certain kids John and I were both ready to find another home for her. Jackson had to be watched at all times in the backyard with her due to her jumping on him and pushing him down. I counted 19 scratches on Jackson's arms by the end of week ONE. BUT she has way mellowed. Seriously. I don't know if it's because she has gotten used to us or we have gotten used to her, but the crying has stopped. The kids actually all LOVE her and the first thing Jackson says when he wakes up in the morning is "Yo-ya!" I can even leave Jacey and Jackson in the backyard with her with no worries!!!! Good dog! My only complaint, and it's kind of a big one, is that she discovered the next door neighbor dog (a datsun) and is CONSTANTLY digging holes for the little dog to come in our yard! Sometimes she digs the hole big enough for her to get into their yard. It's driving me a little batty! Especially because the neighbor's dog is a yappy dog and Lola hardly ever barks. And she's technically not suppose to be around other dogs until after her last set of shots in 3 weeks. We are going to try and come up with an inexpensive way to block her from doing this. Bricks lining the fence? Pavers? I DON'T want to spend a ton a money getting cement poured under the fence between the two yards. She is way spoiled though and seems really smart. Between the kids, she is getting WAY too many treats!


She has gained 10 pounds in less than 6 weeks! From 18 lbs to 28 lbs! She's only 3 months old!
She was posed in the back of the dump truck--it was so cute! We took a close up of it but I accidentally erased it off my camera. :(
She can't go on a walk until June (after shots) so this is her exercise for now!

3 comments:

Grammy said...

She is adorable! I still have days when I want to get rid of our lab, and she is 1 1/2. I'm not sure what you can do with the fence situation... good luck!

Tracy said...

I would try chicken wire to get her to stop digging. Just lay it flat on the ground right up next to the fence and it should help. Good luck!

Shannon Bousfield said...

The teacher at dog obedience school told me this about dogs that dig holes - when they dig a hole, put their own poop in it. Sammy didn't dig much, but we did this and the problem seemed to stop.